Woodward/Newman Drama Award
The Woodward/Newman Drama Award is an exclusive honor offered by Bloomington Playwrights Project, remembering the many great dramas Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman performed in together.
It presents the best unpublished full-length drama of the year with a cash prize of $3,000 and a full production as part of the BPP’s Mainstage season, along with travel reimbursement. Submissions for the 2020-21 competition must be postmarked by Dec 1, 2019.
Congratulations to our 2019-20 Woodward/Newman Drama Award Winner:
The Absentee by Julia Doolittle
- Things that are Round by Callie Kimball
- Sam and Lizzie by Emily Kaczmarek
- The one ATM in Antarctica by Adam Esquenazi Douglas
- The Allies by Charlie O’Leary
- Acts of Creation by Evan Guilford-Blake
- Route by Alexandra Shields
- Paper Cut by Andrew Rosendorf
- Girl in the Red Corner by Stephen Spotswood
- The Wild Boar by Daniel Damiano
Guidelines for Submissions
BPP is now accepting submissions for the 2020-21 Woodward/Newman Drama Award. Submissions must be postmarked by December 1, 2019. The winner will be announced in May/June 2020.
"Full-length" plays should have a complete running time of between 1 hour 15 minutes (75 minutes) to 2 hours 15 minutes (135 minutes).
Plays submitted must be unpublished at the time of submission.
Each submission should be sent to BPP via email. Send your email to email@example.com
Your email should include the following:
Tell us for which competition you are submitting: Reva Shiner Comedy or the script Woodward Newman Drama
Tell us your name, phone number, and the name of your Play
Tell us how you are satisfying the $10 administrative fee
- Agent submitted scripts require no fee.
- If via Dramatist Guild membership, attach a copy of your DG card
to the email
- If you have paid via Paypal on our website
indicate your confirmation number and the email address used.
- Paypal is preferred, but if you can’t pay on-line, you may send a
check or Money Order, (must be from a US bank). Tell us the
check or Money Order number. Make it payable to “BPP” and mail
to BPP, 107 W 9th ST, Bloomington, IN 47404
Attach a PDF file containing your script with the following information
included in the following order:
Title page with author name
Synopsis (1 page or less)
Production history for the play—Include readings and productions
A brief bio of the playwright,
Submissions that fail to include all requested information in the order listed will be
disqualified from the contest.
Plays submitted in previous years will be accepted.
Two separate submissions per playwright per annual competition are allowed as
long as each submission has all the required materials.
- 2018-2019 To Quiet the Quiet by Christy Hall
- 2017-2018 Out of Orbit by Jennifer Maisel
- 2016-2017 Happily After Ever by Laura Zlatos
- 2015-2016 You Remind Me of You by Matthew Capodicasa
- 2014-2015 Ugly Lies the Bone by Lindsay Ferrentino
- 2013-2014 Sequence by Arun Lakra
- 2012-2013 Lemonade by Mark Krause
- 2011-2012 Three Views of the Same Object by Henry Murray
- 2010-2011 Miles Away by Christine Whitley