Reva Shiner Comedy Award
The Reva Shiner Comedy Award presents an unpublished full-length comedy with a cash prize of $1,000, a full production as part of the Bloomington Playwrights Project’s Mainstage season, along with travel reimbursement. We are currently accepting submissions for the 2019-20 Season. Scripts must be postmarked by October 31, 2018.
Previous winners have gone on to enjoy productions around the world and to garner additional honors such as the National Play Award.
Congratulations to our 2018-19 Reva Shiner Comedy Award WINNER:
Apropos of Nothing by Greg Kalleres
- The Late Rosie Callaghan by Jeanne Beckwith
- The Escape Thingy by Deb Hiett
- Our Time by Ken Levine
- Mother’s Wishes by Robert Lynn
- Story of my Life by James McClindon
- What I Didn’t Learn in College by Rich Orloff
- Timeless: A Scientific Comedy by Raegan Payne
- Heart’s Desire Motel by Mark Rosen
- Crashing the Party by Josh Tobiessen
- Faithful Wives and Healthy Children by Mattie Williams
Guidelines for Submissions
We are currently accepting submissions for the 2019-20 Reva Shiner Comedy Award. The top 10 finalists and the winner of the 2019-20 Reva Shiner Comedy Award will be announced at the end of March 2019.
"Full-length" plays will have a complete running time of between 1 hour 15 minutes (75 minutes) to 2 hours 15 minutes (135 minutes).
Plays submitted must be unpublished at the time of submission. Plays that have received developmental readings, workshop productions, or productions at small theatre companies are acceptable. No scripts with previous productions at major regional
theaters will be accepted. Once entered, subsequent activity does not change the acceptability of the script.
Each submission must include a synopsis (1 page or less) including the cast size. A separate page should include a brief bio of the playwright, and production/development history if applicable.
Each submission must include a cover letter with contact information and a $10.00 reader fee. Agent submissions require no fee. The fee will be waived for Dramatist Guild members with an enclosed photocopy of a membership card. The BPP only accepts U.S. checks or money orders (Make check payable to "BPP"). No international checks or money orders will be accepted. If submitting internationally or if you want to avoid paying by check, pay online with your credit card here:
Make sure to note with your submission that you have paid the reader fee online.
It is preferable for musicals to include a demo CD. The complete score is not necessary but may be included. All plays are read by BPP's literary personnel led by and including the Literary Manager and Artistic Director.
We do not accept e-mail submissions. Scripts will not be returned. Blind submissions are not necessary. Please include all contact information. Plays submitted in previous years will be accepted.
The BPP reserves the right not to name a winner and/or name a winner but not commit to a reading or production.
Bloomington Playwrights Project
107 W. 9th Street
Bloomington, IN 47404
For further information, write BPP, Attn: Literary Manager, 107 W. 9th Street, Bloomington, IN 47404. For faster replies, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2017-2018 Beating a Dead Horse by Jenny Stafford
- 2016-2017 Thirty Day Mourning Period by Hank Greene
- 2015-2016 Billy Witch by Gregory S Moss
- 2014-2015 Kalamazoo by Michelle Kholos Brooks & Kelly Younger
- 2013-2014 Mad Gravity by William Missouri Downs
- 2012-2013 Ampersand by Vincent Delaney
- 2011-2012 I Am Grock by Amanda Rogers
- 2010-2011 Artifice by Anne Flanagan
- 2009-2010 Naked in the Kitchen by Lynda Martens
- 2008-2009 Sans Merci by Johnna Adams
- 2007-2008 Work by Terri Wagener
- 2006-2007 Empty Sky by Sarah Treem
- 2005-2006 The Housewives of Mannheim by Alan Brody
- 2004-2005 The New Jersey Book of the Dead by Jason Grote
- 2003-2004 Maleficia-200: A Wonderfull Discoverie of Witches by Suzanne Wingrove
- 2002-2003 Menace of ‘64 by Mark Ulrich
- 2001-2002 New World Rhapsody by Adam Kraar
- 2000-2001 Outrage by Itamar Moses
- 1999-2000 The Return of Morality by Jamie Pachino
- 1998-1999 Alice in Ireland by Judy Sheehan
- 1997-1998 Medea with Child by Janet Burroway
- 1996-1997 My Sister Calling My Name by Buzz McLaughlin
- 1995-1996 Between Men and Cattle by Richard Kalinoski
- 1994-1995 Tobacco Legacy by Wesley Webb
- 1993-1994 Nobody’s Flood by Glenn Alterman