Woodward/Newman Drama Award
The Woodward/Newman Drama Award is an exclusive honor offered by Bloomington Playwrights Project, sponsored by the Newman’s Own Foundation, remembering the many great dramas Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman performed in together.
It presents the best unpublished full-length drama of the year with a full production as part of the BPP’s Mainstage season, along with travel reimbursement. We are currently accepting submissions for the 2018-19 competition. Submissions must be postmarked by March 1, 2018.
Congratulations to our 2017-18 Woodward/Newman Drama Award Winner:
Out of Orbit by Jennifer Maisel
- A Right Blue Hill by Ross Carter
- Origin Story by Nathan Davis
- A Motherhood Almanac by Noah Diaz
- Woman Descending a Staircase by Phoebe Eaton
- The Painted Window by Christy Hall
- Sir Lancelot Jones by Jim Henry
- Cold by Ben Jolivet
- I Carry Your Heart by Georgette Kelly
- The Bridge by Nora Leahy
Guidelines for Submissions
The BPP is accepting submissions for the 2018-19 Woodward/Newman Drama Award. Submissions must be postmarked by March 1, 2018. The top 10 finalists will be announced at the end of May with the winner announced in June 2018.
- "Full-length" plays will have a complete running time of between 1 hour 15 minutes (75 minutes) to 2 hours 15 minutes (135 minutes).
- Plays submitted must be unpublished at the time of submission. Plays that have received developmental readings, workshop productions, or productions at small theatre companies are acceptable. No scripts with previous productions at major regional theaters will be accepted. Once entered, subsequent activity does not change the acceptability of the script.
- Each submission must include a synopsis (1 page or less) including the cast size. A separate page should include a brief bio of the playwright, and production/development history if applicable.
Each submission must include a cover letter with contact information and a $10.00 reader fee. Agent submissions require no fee. The fee will be waived for Dramatist Guild members with an enclosed photocopy of a membership card. The BPP only accepts U.S. checks or money orders (Make check payable to "BPP"). No international checks or money orders will be accepted. If submitting internationally or if you want to avoid paying by check, pay online with your credit card here:
Make sure to note with your submission that you have paid the reader fee online.
- It is preferable for musicals to include a demo CD. The complete score is not necessary but may be included. All plays are read by BPP's literary personnel led by and including the Literary Manager and Artistic Director.
- We do not accept e-mail submissions. Scripts will not be returned. Blind submissions are not necessary. Please include all contact information. Plays submitted in previous years will be accepted.
- The BPP reserves the right not to name a winner and/or name a winner but not commit to a reading or production.
Bloomington Playwrights Project
107 W. 9th Street
Bloomington, IN 47404
- For further information, write BPP, Attn: Literary Manager, 107 W. 9th Street, Bloomington, IN 47404. For faster replies, please e-mail us at email@example.com
- 2016-2017 Happily After Ever by Laura Zlatos
- 2015-2016 You Remind Me of You by Matthew Capodicasa
- 2014-2015 Ugly Lies the Bone by Lindsay Ferrentino
- 2013-2014 Sequence by Arun Lakra
- 2012-2013 Lemonade by Mark Krause
- 2011-2012 Three Views of the Same Object by Henry Murray
- 2010-2011 Miles Away by Christine Whitley