The BPP relies heavily on the support and contribution of volunteers to produce its high-quality productions. We work with an average of over 40 volunteers and interns who assist with everything from hanging posters to working on a backstage crew. We also hold open auditions to the public and work with many artists from within the Bloomington area.
Get on the Email List
BPP seeks a full-time Managing Director to manage day-to-day administrative activity and work with the Producing Artistic Director to achieve strategic direction. The Managing Director reports directly to the Producing Artistic Director.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Supervising administrative staff/interns and directing administrative operations.
- In collaboration with the Producing Artistic Director, preparing and adhering to the annual operating budget, including budgets for individual productions. The MD is responsible for all necessary financial reporting including current financial results, budget performance forecasting, cash flow projections and balance sheets.
- Working with the Marketing and Development Director to plan and implement audience development activities including marketing strategies, public relations activities and promotional events for season and single tick campaigns, as well as seasonal, production and program sponsorships.
- Staffing, organizing, and maintaining the Box Office and Box Office procedures.
- Working closely with the Producing Artistic Director to provide administrative services for the production process.
- Working with the Producing Artistic Director to support and further the educational programs of the theatre.
- Overseeing, along with the Technical Director and Producing Artistic Director, the operation and maintenance of the BPP’s physical space.
- Managing and maintaining routine financial tasks such as payroll preparation, federal and state liability and tax administration, filing of required reports with federal, state, and local government agencies, and maintaining files as needed to document BPP auditable activities.
- Working with the Producing Artistic Director and Marketing and Development Director to organize and increase the BPP’s volunteer base.
- Helping to advance the relationship between the BPP and various local, state, and regional organizations, including government agencies and advocacy groups, community and local business groups and arts organizations. The Managing Director/Artistic Director team presents the public face of the BPP and the MD may be called upon to speak to private and public organizations and to the press.
- Serving, with the Producing Artistic Director, as the primary staff liaison to the Board. The MD works closely with the President of the Board regarding the operation of the Theatre.
- Bachelor’s Degree or advanced degree
- Demonstrated ability to effectively handle multiple priorities and projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Excellent interpersonal skills
To apply, qualified and interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Producing Artistic Director Chad Rabinovitz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just a few of the many opportunities available at the BPP:
- Set Building
- Set Painting
- Play Selection Committee (Script Reader)
- Light & Sound Board Operator
- Backstage Crew
- Marketing (hanging posters, writing press releases, designing materials)
- Development (soliciting donations, grant writing)
- Special Event Assistance (Gala, Opening Nights)
- Box Office
- Teaching Assistant
- Cleaning and Facility Maintenance
- Mailings and Office Work